Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3D Printing Skirt
50mm seems about right.

I looked at Savage's rendering vs one of the photos. It looks to me like the top of Savage's skirt is about the same distance from the center as the bulge of the head.  (Head bulge is accurate because we have a real measurement there.)  Eg: the corners of the head are about above the corners of the top of the skirt.

[Image: normal_H015_render_08.JPG]

Compare that to a photo of the droid on stage.  Of course lens/rendering stuff is hard to know if it's perfect.  However, to me, with Mk I eyeball, it looks like the top of the skirt is a little wider than the head buldge.  On the left it almost touches the vertical metal  line of the stage box, but the head is away from that. 

That could just be the angle, but the other side is also further and the corner-corner distance is longer on the bottom than the top.  I was toying with the idea of increasing the skirt top about 25mm and the bottom by 50mm.

[Image: normal_Sentry_Droid_Reference_28329.JPG]
Yeah. I see it. The middle part of the droid on mine is too upright, too straight. Good eye. I'll see if can get it closer.
(09-03-2016, 03:05 PM)savagecreature Wrote: Yeah. I see it. The middle part of the droid on mine is too upright, too straight. Good eye. I'll see if can get it closer.

No rush for me.
I used the same image so generously provided by kresty (as all of the best images have been) 'cause it looked like a good one. It's not a perfect match, but a pretty good one.  This 3D format isn't compatible with the plans, so there'll be some conversion required, etc.

The bad news is, however, with the current head this new proportion only gets an inch closer to the indicated 25.  This one is 23.8 (the current published plans are 22.8)  I guess I'll have to take another look at the head and see what I can see.

[Image: normal_newMatch_01.JPG]
Hi all well I have been 3d printing all weekend and in one word success. The three are at 50%, and as you can see the 100% fits Lego. Sorry can't seem to post the pics straight onto page. The  print time was 8 hours for half the full sized version will do the other part tomorrow to see timing.  This is in ABS with 10% infill.  Only slight warping in one of the corners but not an issue. 1 section down 7 to go.

[Image: LUcCHIguF_euPGHc7xz94Q3QAzvOqmxPFU0os0MR...e=1024x768]

[Image: rYduZOOvtRLFbe9lKTKT71fDAznXk7fS1qFih_VQ...e=1024x768]

[Image: ZiuJe6ktoGLHlKRi8A6to7KNcOEbwSPtEKUvb68d...e=1024x768]
Nice Very Nice ...
I'm glad to see they fit as well as they do!  Pretty cool, thanks for being the guinea pig!

(09-04-2016, 11:51 AM)jollyg Wrote: Sorry can't seem to post the pics straight onto page.

Maybe an admin could fix that...  It should look kinda like this (but I had to put spaces by the img tag).  I right clicked on the dropbox photo on the dropbox page and hit copy to get a link that worked. Hopefully they don't change URLs often.

[ img ]https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/2/AABBVs-...e=1024x768[ /img ]
Hmm, that's looking good, wonder where the extra 1" comes from?

(09-03-2016, 09:39 PM)savagecreature Wrote: I used the same image so generously provided by kresty (as all of the best images have been) 'cause it looked like a good one. It's not a perfect match, but a pretty good one.  This 3D format isn't compatible with the plans, so there'll be some conversion required, etc.

The bad news is, however, with the current head this new proportion only gets an inch closer to the indicated 25.  This one is 23.8 (the current published plans are 22.8)  I guess I'll have to take another look at the head and see what I can see.

Seems odd though, we "know" how big the head is at the top & middle.  Doesn't seem like much room for error there.

I wonder if this helps at all?  Pretty close to edge-on.  Bottom of the head is to the outside of the top of the head.  And the "neck" looks like the same width on the top of the body & bottom of the head.

[Image: normal_front.jpg]

How tall is your 3D model?  Did you see my guess of 23.5" based on Lara's lightsaber?  http://www.rebeldroids.net/forum/showthr...63#pid1763 - unfortunately that's not a very precise estimate. Also that's from the floor, so whatever bit of the faux wheels is between the skirt bottom and floor.
Okay. I spent some more time with it this morning before I went to the lab. I put the head in there, got a pretty good match, added in the dimensions for the head that I know are correct . . . and the skirt was still less than 25 in.  I don't know where the error is. I fudged around with it some more and got a little dimensionally closer, but still not right.

[Image: normal_newMatch_02.JPG]

Then I started putting it other images. The other images didn't allow for the skirt to be 25 in either.  However, kresty will be much happier if we accommodate his lego under-side, (which is awesome beyond our ability to measure) so ultimately I wedged it in there with a 25 in skirt and we can live with the inaccuracies in the other parts of the body.  Big Grin Smile

[Image: normal_newMatch_03.JPG]

[Image: normal_newMatch_04.JPG]

I'll update the flat packs and upload as soon as I can.
[Image: 2dd3ddc416dbaa4a7da1781cd86df2a8.jpg]

Hacked the current 3D printed skirt to fit my 1/2 scale.
Dimensionally height-wise, it now fits like a glove, though it does lose some depth.
Unless you pick it up the entire droid and take a real close look (and you know exactly what you're looking for) it's doubtful anyone would notice.

http://www.halfthedroid.com