Poll: Plans and 3D files; should they be separate?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I think I would like them in the same place
50.00%
2 50.00%
I like them separate
50.00%
2 50.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3D files vs. plans
In our ever evolving attempts to make this resource as easy to use as possible, I am once again soliciting user feedback.

In our files section we have an area for plans for each droid. When I originally arranged this my intent was for there to be, well, plans in the plans section, that being defined as images showing dimensions or assembly instructions. Sounds are stored in sounds, code is stored in code. 

However, I feel like it gets a bit more hazy when we move on to 3D files. 3D files may well require assembly instructions as well. You're going to need to see images of what the file will look like when printed to know which file it is you want.  In a way they can almost be considered plans, they're just plans your printer or cutter uses instead of ones you use. I even put the .stls for the treadwell eyes in the plans section without even thinking about it. (which is what prompted this post)

I don't like the whole, "Dump it all in a bucket and we can just dig around for what we need later" approach, so I don't really want get in the habit of lumping multiple file types together, but this is another one of those cases where I think it would be best to do what the majority thinks would be most useful.

Should we put the 3D files and plans together? Or keep them separate as I originally set them up to be?
I'd like the 3D files with the plans.  We can have instructions too.  (One catch is it's hard to download everything in a folder?  Another catch is that the thumbnails are all boring (though I have a thought about that)).  There can also be pdf files or something with instructions if need be.

I also wouldn't mind seeing 3D files for the models that otherwise get a flatpack.  Maybe someone wants to print an ornament or has another use.

I was also hoping that if things need steps or seem convoluted or whatever that helpful hints/guides/instructions could be in the wiki attached to that droid.  Like I'd expect to go to the wiki and find a bit that says what the parts list is and where the plans are and perhaps links to different folks' builds and maybe different ways of doing controllers or whatnot if someone did it differently (eg: 2 wheel vs holonomic sentry droid builds).
Keep them all together ... I really hate hunting all over forums for stuff.
Uh oh, Savage, you're getting outvoted so far ;-)
(08-23-2016, 11:54 AM)kresty Wrote: Uh oh, Savage, you're getting outvoted so far ;-)

well, I knew you'd disagree with me as that has been the trend.  Wink We'll see what other folks have to say.  I'm not going to do the "download the whole droid" packs, though. The plans and the 3D files will be continue to be separate downloads. Plans and 3D files are, at least in my mutated brain, different things.

If nothing else I have never loved the "just tell me how to do it" mentality. We're supposed to be being creative here, not just showing how well we follow instructions.

(oh, and the poll looks even to me right now Wink)
(08-23-2016, 03:18 PM)savagecreature Wrote: (oh, and the poll looks even to me right now Wink)

Yea, another participant Smile  I don't care as long as folks participate Smile
Hmm, I'm ding'd for having them in different spots, so I looked at the files. If I want to build a droid, then it looks like I'd look under construction plans, find my droid, look under sounds (if applicable), find my droid, look under CAD, find my droid, etc.

I wonder if another mechanism might be to put them in order by droid, then by subtype if needed? Eg: Find H015, then find plans or 3D models ore ???
Teased, not dinged. Big Grin
Yes, that's exactly how it'd work. Big Grin I don't think that would in any way be difficult for our members, and it separates them by file type, not file content, which is how we do pretty much everything else (and the way I'm used to). Even Windows has a folder for "images" a folder for "documents' and a folder for 'videos'. It doesn't have a folder named, "my next door neighbor bob' that has all the files relevant to bob, including that video you got of him on the fourth of july wearing nothing but a flag wrapped around his waist and a smile.
(09-02-2016, 05:47 AM)savagecreature Wrote: Teased, not dinged. Big Grin
Yes, that's exactly how it'd work. Big Grin  I don't think that would in any way be difficult for our members, and it separates them by file type, not file content, which is how we do pretty much everything else (and the way I'm used to).  Even Windows has a folder for "images" a folder for "documents' and a folder for 'videos'. It doesn't have a folder named, "my next door neighbor bob' that has all the files relevant to bob, including that video you got of him on the fourth of july wearing nothing but a flag wrapped around his waist and a smile.

Key point for me would be sorting by droid first

MSE-6
   - 3D files
   - Construction Plans
   - Sounds

Sentry Droid
   - 3D files
   - Construction Plans

???
Um . . I'm saying it wrong somehow.  Doing it by droids first is, in my tongue in cheek example, the same as doing it by 'my next door neighbor bob' first.  

Let's stick with general to specific for the time being, which is to say, the way it is.  

3D files (general)
   -MSE-6 (specific)
   -Sentry Droid (specific)

If we get an overwhelming outcry we can bring it up for re-assessment.