Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MSE-6 Build notes
Replacing the spring. It's just a little rubber-y tube slipping over the rod of the shock. Pretty much defeats the purpose of having a shock, but my thinking is that at least it would act like a little pad rather than a hard stop. No clue if it's actually doing anything!
(08-31-2016, 11:04 PM)kresty Wrote: Replacing the spring.  It's just a little rubber-y tube slipping over the rod of the shock.  Pretty much defeats the purpose of having a shock, but my thinking is that at least it would act like a little pad rather than a hard stop.  No clue if it's actually doing anything!
Might look at trying this, just ran my rear axle build and it runs rough, really rough!
Drive shaft it too sharp an angle down to the wheels and the whole thing shakes and vibrates, something not right somewhere.
Think I'm going to have to use the original RC chassis like originally planned.

Too much thinking, should stick to the original plan..
Is the vibration coming from the motor/gearbox connection or something? I'm surprised. Lara's build is bouncy, but most of that is because we used Lego wheels and they collapsed, so she filled them with spray foam, which cured lop-sided.
(09-01-2016, 09:44 AM)kresty Wrote: Is the vibration coming from the motor/gearbox connection or something?  I'm surprised.  Lara's build is bouncy, but most of that is because we used Lego wheels and they collapsed, so she filled them with spray foam, which cured lop-sided.

Yes, the connection between the gearbox and the wheels, the drive shaft universal joints I think.
I put all the pieces back on the car chassis last night and it ran smoothly so I think it's something to do with the angles of the drive shaft in my mod. Going to try something different this weekend.
(09-01-2016, 10:56 PM)Roger Booth Wrote: Yes, the connection between the gearbox and the wheels, the drive shaft universal joints I think.
I put all the pieces back on the car chassis last night and it ran smoothly so I think it's something to do with the angles of the drive shaft in my mod. Going to try something different this weekend.

I understand, those kinds of things are pretty hard to align.  I often have challenges with that kinds of stuff.  Hope you get it figured out easily!
Yeah! What kresty said. Best of luck!

I seem to remember something about universal joints actually changing rotational velocity as they turn, depending on the position of the joint and the angle of power transfer. If that's true then the power transfer would surge with each rotation. That could be causing vibration. But I'm just guessing. (I wanted to participate Big Grin)
Sorted out the front and back wheels for the chassis over the weekend and will post pictures shortly.

Bit of a dilemma

I sat down with my daughter over the weekend and watched an episode of Star Wars Rebels
(Homecoming, the one with the Mouse Droid)
The Mouse in SWR has two rows of lights on the top and I haven't seen any other MSE's with the light arrangements like this.

My daughter dressed up as Sabine Wren when we went to the Star Wars Celebration in London, it might be good to re-create this animated version for when we visit future events, it would be nice for her to be accompanied by an SWR style Mouse.

Would it be frowned upon to base my MSE-6 on the animated version or should I stick to the original?
MSE in the cartoons are done with lights because way easier then like the MSE from the Star Wars movies as the cartoon ones need to be drawn for every frame .. but MSE from what I have read were not all like the ones in the movies anyway.

I have seen a Hello Kitty MSE, a MSE with a Mini Gun attached and a few others .. if you have a look at my build you will see what I am working on. A 160+kph MSE
(09-05-2016, 07:20 AM)Roger Booth Wrote: Would it be frowned upon to base my MSE-6 on the animated version or should I stick to the original?

First of all, this is always for fun, so if others frown, then just ignore 'em Smile

That said, Mice are "cheap" compared to Astromechs and people seem to build them any which way.  Steele (not me) is arranging a bunch with fun wraps for Celebration, so yours will probably be relatively tame.

Anyway: go for it!
I agree with kresty totally.  Do what's fun. To heck with frowners.

Smile