Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antennae
(01-18-2017, 01:30 AM)kresty Wrote: Well... Savage knows I'm picky... I happened (totally by accident, after playing with these files for far too long) to notice that in Savage's files, the slots in the arms of the Y piece aren't quite centered.  The slots are rotated slightly from the Y arms themselves.  In other words, the sides of the slots are not parallel to the sides of the arms of the Y.

What?  What?!

I'll get that fixed as soon as I have a moment.  I can't imagine how that even happened. Thanks for catching it!
(01-18-2017, 07:14 AM)savagecreature Wrote:
(01-18-2017, 01:30 AM)kresty Wrote: Well... Savage knows I'm picky... I happened (totally by accident, after playing with these files for far too long) to notice that in Savage's files, the slots in the arms of the Y piece aren't quite centered.  The slots are rotated slightly from the Y arms themselves.  In other words, the sides of the slots are not parallel to the sides of the arms of the Y.

What?  What?!

I'll get that fixed as soon as I have a moment.  I can't imagine how that even happened. Thanks for catching it!

Well, since it took me *forever* to notice, I guess it's not that urgent Smile
(01-18-2017, 07:14 AM)savagecreature Wrote:

What?  What?!

Well, since it took me *forever* to notice, I guess it's not that urgent Smile
I'll have to post a pix after it gets glued or something, it looks way better with the sides attached.  I'm impressed, this worked better than I expected.  I still think flat styrene is probably a better choice, but still...

[Image: normal_White_Mouse_Top_Antenna__2.jpg]
Test print of 3D Printed Antenna #2
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.  And we have a 3D printer and we don't have sheet styrene right now...

The narrow bits are really skinny, I had to be very careful prying it from the bed.
Here are the 3D printed Antennae - not completely glued, but the 3-part base is glued together and each antenna has its sides on. I bumped the contrast a lot 'cause it's pretty hard to see the black-on-black.

I actually think these turned out surprisingly well. The laser can cause rough edges, so this seems a similar quality to "just cutting" them. I printed each one as three parts at once. Middle and two sides. The two sides are just mirrors and printed with the outside edge down so that the stand-offs can print on top. Since they're so thin, they print fairly quickly.

[Image: normal_3D_Printed_Lego_H015_Sentry_Droid..._28129.jpg] [Image: normal_3D_Printed_Lego_H015_Sentry_Droid..._28229.jpg]

Here they are just out flat on the counter after gluing together:

[Image: normal_3D_Printed_Lego_H015_Sentry_Droid..._28329.jpg] [Image: normal_3D_Printed_Lego_H015_Sentry_Droid..._28429.jpg]

And here they are edge on so you can see how they gap:

[Image: normal_3D_Printed_Lego_H015_Sentry_Droid..._28529.jpg]

Savage and I were discussing how a flat pack is faster to cut than 3D-printed - but I daresay that in this case it might be a close call. Especially with the thin bits in the edges.
Those are really cool! I'll have to print a set, just for the hell of it. Smile
That is sort of what I thought. I was surprised. I'd be curious what the versions between laser/CnC/3D would be like.