Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antennae
I've been led to understand that the top antenna are laser cut styrene from 3mm stock for main inner section and 1mm outer details.
I'm totally confused as to why, but kresty asked me to post more images of the antennae, so . . . I'm doin' it.

Here's an ortho view of all three antennae

[Image: normal_antenae_03.JPG][Image: normal_antenae_04.JPG]

an exploded view of all three can be seen on this page of the plans.
Thanks! I asked 'cause it's in the plans files but there's no thread to point people there Smile (Unless I got confused) Smile And the preview in the files download just shows a generic acrobat thing, no images Smile
there's a link to the plans in this thread:

Publish Notifications

You have to be a member of the site to be able to view or download anything in the files section.
Ah, I thought I saw them and couldn't find them Smile Maybe we should pin the plans thread to the top of a subforum (if we can). A wiki would help, someone should work on that.
Has anyone created a 3d file(s) for the antennae?
(01-17-2017, 05:22 PM)TB750 Wrote: Has anyone created a 3d file(s) for the antennae?

I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for. The images above are images of he 3D files of he antennae.  Are you asking if there are .stls for 3D printing?
(01-17-2017, 05:22 PM)TB750 Wrote: Has anyone created a 3d file(s) for the antennae?

The originals were built from flat like sheet styrene, so that works best.  One could stack Savage's plans up to get 3d stls, but that'd sort of be overkill - unless, of course, you don't have a way to cut the styrene!

EDIT: Ok, now I'm curious, I think I have a tool to convert them - not gonna guarantee how well they print. (You could always "print" the bits that'd be cut from styrene and then build from there)
Well... Savage knows I'm picky... I happened (totally by accident, after playing with these files for far too long) to notice that in Savage's files, the slots in the arms of the Y piece aren't quite centered. The slots are rotated slightly from the Y arms themselves. In other words, the sides of the slots are not parallel to the sides of the arms of the Y.

Well, I converted his PDFs to sketchup and exported STLs... That doesn't mean that they'll work, but the flat ones are pretty straightforward. It would print the middle and two sides that you'd have to glue together (otherwise you'd need insane support or solid areas between the middle and edges - which would probably work, but...)

Presumably folks would still prefer Savage's original flat pack plans for the antennae to cut from styrene:

[Image: thumb_antennae_template_01.png]
antenna template sheet 01
First revision of H015 antennae by savagecreature

[Image: thumb_antennae_template_02.png]
antenna template sheet 02
First revision of H015 antennae by savagecreature