Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toolbox Droid
I assumed I wasn't going to build one of these things, but I'm wondering...

Looking again, I'm curious what the lights are? They seem too big for LEDs, though Lee's rendering seems to maybe have an LED-sized center.
(10-10-2016, 12:40 AM)Roger Booth Wrote: ... and came up with some possible dimensions for the toolbox droid based on 110cm waist high 

Do the dimensions exist already?

You landed on 110cm for the height - waist height. IMO, I'm not quite sure it's that tall. It's "in front" of the person here, however it's pretty distant, so the heights are about the same. If I move the droid up a little and draw a line from the top front edge, it seems a bit lower than the extra's waist... almost like to the bottom of the, um, buttocks.

[Image: normal_ToolBox_Droid_Height.png]
Toolbox droid about butt high?
Seems to come below waist, closer to bottom of buttocks?

So I'd guess a bit shorter? Maybe 1m tall?
Oh, also this picture that Savage zoomed in makes it more obvious that he's got the oil cans and stuff on top.

[Image: normal_ToolBox_Droid_Height.png]

Compare that to this photo/rendering with all the stuff on the top.

[Image: normal_ToolBox_Droid_Cropped.png]

Makes me wonder if it was fastened (must have been) or could actually sit there (I wouldn't risk moving that/balancing on the set during filming).
(I added a wiki page for the Toolbox Droid: http://www.rebeldroids.net/wiki/index.ph...lbox_Droid )
Hmm, not sure how to embed video at a certain timestamp, but the toolbox droid starts at 2m45s

It was pointed out on facebook that those are real oil cans... Hmmm.
Hi Guys!

I was recently made aware of this thread and it's nice to see one or two people looking to replicate some of my work! I can't give you too much information about the build i'm afraid but I do have a work in progress of my own so you can take some measurements off of that at events when it's done maybe!

The images are not renders but are taken by our team of studio photographers based at Pinewood. Everything that appears in the Star Wars films is 3D scanned, and photographed to a very high standard. These are the still photos taken just after I finished building it. I made two in total, we only had the tools for one though.

The tools and cans were supplied by Props so I have no definite information about them, that's one for us all to work out for ourselves!

The rest however I do have measurements for but not something I can share, just scale it from one of the cans that have now been identified and you'll have it. The lights are backlit with standard torch bulbs and not leds. The lenses are vintage parts I found when visiting scrap suppliers for parts we use throughout the films.

The build is wood as that was the material I was comfortable with as my first ever build for CFX. I've moved on a little since then but I'm still pretty pleased with how it turned out. The track idea, I found on the internet when researching tank tracks and although they were wood and a little noisy the main noise was from the drive belt. With track so close together it was proving difficult to have it steerable so with the little time I had i linked the tracks together so they were both belt driven off of a wiper motor up in the body. This obviously meant it would only go in a straight line which was quite amusing during filming, certainly point and go!

We did shoot with it in the Rebel Base interior but it was very quiet at the time and the clonk, clonk of the motor, although amusing was a little annoying when trying to catch dialog on set.

That's all I have to share for now without getting into trouble. I'll try and help the best I can but I hope you understand I am under NDA for the rest of my life!!

Lee Towersey
Cool to have you with us Lee! Thank you for the information you can provide, it's fun to hear about it all.
Thanks Lee! Certainly don't want you to get in trouble, and thanks for the tidbits. I was thinking that steering might be tricky with the tracks so broad and close together!

I only found it in the exterior shots, can you say if some frames of the interior made it, or was that all cut?
See the other threads - I got my "oil can" container, but am having trouble reconciling the dimensions Sad I'm getting somewhere between 66 and 70 cm tall from the slides and my measurements.
[Image: 13696650_255506638164537_1115043532_n.jp...%3D.2&se=7]

He is very small  Undecided  Undecided  Undecided