Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Markus' H015 from cardboard
The LED holders are mounted to a piece of cardboard, glued to a popsicle stick.

This structure is then glued to the inside of the neck structure and a hole is cut into the top plate which will later provide access to the electronics.

Now, four corner pieces are glued to the head, each made of three layers of cardboard. This steps requires high precision to ensure a tight fit of the head.

This gives the first view on the entire droid:

Yes, that's H015!
(06-27-2016, 07:24 AM)Markus Wrote: This gives the first view on the entire droid:

Yes, that's H015!

It certainly is! Very cool to see him up on his . . .  feet?  Nice work!
Impressive! Cool. I have a dead Roomba....
Oh my gosh that looks absolutely incredible! Great work!
Impressed, very impressed.
In the meantime, many new pictures of H015 have surfaced, and also a youtube video from the Star Wars Celebration Europe 2016 (where H015 appears at 3:35). These show a few details that were not visible in the first circulating images on which my build is based. At this point, however, I already planned to make a few deviations from the original. H015 plays only a minor role in TFA, which explains why its set of features was limited to motion and a blue light. But I am not primarily interested in a perfect replica, but more in a cool droid. So today, I show the first extras of my H015 build in the openings in the lower body.
The original H015 has openings on the left and right sides of the body. The first pictures showed the left side, and it is this pattern that I am using for both sides. In addition, I am adding a smaller opening at the center of the front side. The openings will hold a power switch, a micro USB connector (for programming the Arduino), three ultrasonic distance sensors HC-SR04 (for avoiding obstacles), a microphone capsule (for responding to sound), and a volume knob on a PAM8403 2x3Watt amp.

When the cardboard structures are glued into the body, this is how my H015 looks like:

The electronic devices will be mounted later, after painting.
Cool, looking good! Lara's also trying to figure out what else her version will "do" since about all it does in the movies is move a little bit and spin.
The upper body of the original H015 droid consists of white plastic only. But I really want to have some fun with my H015, so I decided to add something on each side: Displays on the front and back sides, and doors on the left and right sides. First, I add a second layer of cardboard, and then I cut the openings on all four sides.

Then I cut the pieces for the doors on the sides out of 1/8" plywood and use white primer (Gesso) on everything.

Now I am painting all the black details.

It's looking better and better!
Looking great! Lara's been looking at ways to make it more interesting as well, we'll see...
Now, most of the body structures are finished. The last missing pieces are the antennas (I will deal with bottom details at the very end).
Originally, I thought I would make a very simple construction with three wooden rods of the corresponding lengths. But then we got all these details and savagecreature made those beautiful and incredibly detailed plans. So, I guessed I had to do something a little more involved. Based on savagecreature's planes, I copied the rough shapes on 1/8" plywood, cut these with a jigsaw, primed and smoothed them, painted them black, and glued them to the head.

I am really happy with this - it looks much better than my original plan.
However, I'm still worried that (in particular in the presence of other kids) these may later act as predetermined breaking points - we will see ...