Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Markus' H015 from cardboard
Those cuts look so perfect, are you using some sort of machine or is that by hand?
Thank you! Yes, everything is done by hand - this is my setup:

With time one is getting better...
Using a really sharp knife makes a big difference (as compared to using scissors, as I did  for my first droid).
And, referring to your previous post, it is really the greatest moment when you recognize the basic shape. After that, every single step makes less and less difference, but takes more and more time.

(06-15-2016, 01:19 PM)kresty Wrote: Those cuts look so perfect, are you using some sort of machine or is that by hand?
Holy Cow!
Pretty cool stuff, Markus!
Hey, that's where my ruler went!

(06-15-2016, 01:37 PM)Markus Wrote: Thank you! Yes, everything is done by hand - this is my setup:

XWith time one is getting better...
Using a really sharp knife makes a big difference (as compared to using scissors, as I did  for my first droid).
And, referring to your previous post, it is really the greatest moment when you recognize the basic shape. After that, every single step makes less and less difference, but takes more and more time.

(06-15-2016, 01:19 PM)kresty Wrote: Those cuts look so perfect, are you using some sort of machine or is that by hand?
(06-15-2016, 01:37 PM)Markus Wrote: Thank you! Yes, everything is done by hand - this is my setup:

With time one is getting better...

Something looks wrong here.

When I'm trying to build something I have calculations all over the goddam place. Your workspace is WAY too neat and tidy.

You need some random scribbles and fractions drawn on everything, some spilled paint and glue, and possibly a loose hamster wandering across the table.
I agree, where's the shot of the section superglued to your leg? That's how I usually end up doing it!

(06-15-2016, 08:15 PM)deathproof Wrote: Something looks wrong here.

When I'm trying to build something I have calculations all over the goddam place. Your workspace is WAY too neat and tidy.

You need some random scribbles and fractions drawn on everything, some spilled paint and glue, and possibly a loose hamster wandering across the table.
I have to say that looks pretty damn close.
(06-15-2016, 09:05 PM)kresty Wrote: I agree, where's the shot of the section superglued to your leg? That's how I usually end up doing it!

Or a hot glue gun welded to your leg.
High praise indeed Smile

Actually, I guess the compliments go both ways, they do say "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

(06-16-2016, 10:13 AM)olivers Wrote: I have to say that looks pretty damn close.
The next step is the construction of the neck (which features some lights) and the mount for the head. I decided to make the head removable so I can access the electronics through the opening in the neck. From the movie it does not become clear on which sides of the droid the lights in the neck are placed - I decided to put them on the front and on the left and right sides. In the movie, the lights in the neck appear to be blue (at 20:58). In another scene (at 1:36:24) they also seem to be red. Although this might be some reflection, I decided to use red and blue lights for my H015 (I am using RGB LEDs where only the red and blue elements are connected).
The neck construction starts with two layers of cardboard which are glued to the body. To those, I glue some white transparent plastic (taken from a gallon bottle of vinegar) to diffuses the light of the individual LEDs. Five more layers of cardboard are added to provide support for the head.