Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Found original part?
The two hooks on the foot go through 2 slots in the bottom of the body, on the outside they were secured with a metal clamp. The same clamp is used to push the lens back and forward.
(06-04-2016, 09:02 AM)Lichtbringer Wrote: The two hooks on the foot go through 2 slots in the bottom of the body, on the outside they were secured with a metal clamp. The same clamp is used to push the lens back and forward.

Ah! Parts we haven't seen (the metal clamp).  That's good to know.  Seems that in pretty much all ways the Viscount is not an acceptable substitute. (which is too bad)

[Image: normal_trident_bottom_01.JPG]

Also, I've moved all the images to the Treadwell album and I have redirected all the links in your previous posts to the gallery images instead of your photobucket.  I did allow the software to reduce them in size to make it friendlier for people viewing on smaller devices. I've made some of them clickable for larger versions, but there are so many images I haven't done all of them yet.  The large versions can all be seen in the Images & Files area. 

Thank you again for sharing this awesome information with all of us!
There's a new version of the 3D model of the Trident Eye based on the new dimensions that Lichtbringer provided.  The lens and lens retainer ring have been omitted, as they're separate pieces of geometry.   I'm contemplating two options for the lens; a cast acrylic one that duplicates the lens used in the Trident viewer and a vacu-formed polycarbonate one that follows the correct contour but doesn't distort the light so that sensors or cameras can be put behind the lens.

[Image: normal_eye_model_02.jpg]

[Image: normal_eye_model_03.jpg]

I'm also contemplating multiple versions of the file. This version, for instance, I put mounting holes in the frame. You can see in the treadwell image in the first post that the Trident Eye is held on with two screws, one in each side of the frame.  I also suspect that the treadwell builders cut the parts that extend behind the lens off to mount it flush on the front of the head.  Since these files are intended for 3D printing it's best to go ahead and cut the holes and trim the back in the model, not in the finished print, so maybe we'll have different versions of the model. One complete, as taken out of the slide viewer, one with the mounting holes, one with mounting holes and the rear protrusions removed, that sort of thing.

I will continue to update the accuracy of the model as I get more information. If at any point before I'm satisfied with it's accuracy (at which point I'll put it in the files area) anyone would like the .stl file, please just drop me a note and I'll be happy to email it to you.
Cool model. Nice to have!
while I continue to try to get my hands on an original part, I went ahead and printed the model I built based on Lichtbringers generously provided images and measurements.

I split the piece into two parts so that it could be printed without supports.

[Image: normal_eye_model_04.jpg]

then I . .. well, printed it.

[Image: normal_eyePrint_ver_02b.jpg]

And then I glued the two pieces together, aligning the bottom platform and making sure the lens flange was even all on sides.

[Image: normal_eyePrint_ver_02.jpg]

[Image: normal_eyePrint_ver_02c.jpg]

[Image: normal_eyePrint_ver_02d.jpg]

The print quality wasn't as great as I would have liked, but that was entirely my print settings.  Once I get my hands on the real McCoy and can make sure my model is accurate I'll print a few at the best settings and see how them compare.
Looks pretty good!
Grabbed a couple from Ebay. Hopefully have them in a few days.

Although I might end up having to redo the head to fit the eyes properly. Have to see when I get them... although if that's the case, I'll probably use styrene this time instead of balsa wood.
(06-11-2016, 08:17 PM)deathproof Wrote: Grabbed a couple from Ebay. Hopefully have them in a few days.

Although I might end up having to redo the head to fit the eyes properly. Have to see when I get them... although if that's the case, I'll probably use styrene this time instead of balsa wood.

Cool!  You probably got the ones I was watching Wink  I'm glad I didn't bid against you. Now that I know you've got yours, though, I can be more aggressive about the next ones I see.
(06-12-2016, 07:32 AM)savagecreature Wrote:
(06-11-2016, 08:17 PM)deathproof Wrote: Grabbed a couple from Ebay. Hopefully have them in a few days.

Cool!  You probably got the ones I was watching Wink  I'm glad I didn't bid against you. Now that I know you've got yours, though, I can be more aggressive about the next ones I see.

They varied in prices.. the one went for $30 but the other I got for only $8. (I didn't notice that the seller on the $8 one didn't want to ship internationally, but since we have good feedback he was nice enough to make an exception)

Upon reflection I think the blue paint I was using is a little too dark, anyway.
Yup! Those were the two I was watching all right. Big Grin

Like I said, I'm glad I didn't bid against you. Make sure you post photos and stuff when you get them Big Grin