Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Found original part?
I think i found one of the real parts used in ANH to make the Treadwell head.

Please have a look at this pic from our local reference pics:

[Image: normal_treadwell_tatooine_06_zpspsu1ruro.png]

And now compare to these parts on my bench:

[Image: normal_20160528_160208_zpsnwrekfaw.jpg]

[Image: normal_20160528_160406_zpsrrwlbuh6.jpg]

[Image: normal_20160528_160434_zps8syzcezs.jpg]

I really believe i hit it, but what do you guys think?
I agree 100%!! That's really exciting!!

However, you didn't tell us what they are. Where did those parts come from? Is it from a source that shouldn't be difficult to acquire? If nothing else now we can get a full list of dimensions, see what it looks like from every angle, etc, and reproduce them ourselves for CnC or 3D printing.

This is a great find! I would love to get my hands on one!
based on the dimensions you've already provided:

[Image: normal_eye_model_01.jpg]

More images with the calipers would be aweseome. From the edge/side, from the back and bottom. I can refine it's accuracy as we establish more measurements or learn something new.   Smile

Thanks so much for even sharing what you already have. This is way cool
So, back at home.  Smile

Finding them was pure luck. I bought parts for this prop, the Detention block cameras Han and Chewie blasted away when freeing Leia from the Deathstar:

[Image: normal_left-view_zpsewkxn1v5.jpg]

The mainparts of it are six vintage slide viewer, manufacturer is Paterson, the type is "Trident" (i don´t know if the parts are also in other close looking types as the "Viscount", i only can say it´s for sure in the Trident).

[Image: normal_20160405_181950_zpsstipnkgz.jpg]

This are inner lenses that i supose were use for magnifing, as they can be distance adjusted between lamp and outer lens.

The parts are old and the plastic is brittle, so i took everything out to make the hulls lighter. Less weight makes the screwed backs less prone to cracking. I put everything in a box and forgot it. Today i had some time and was just again looking for the Treadwell refence material , when i clicked on the pic above and was hit by a "Damn, i know that part, what is it?" followed by searching a lot of boxes.  Smile

The slide viewers can still be found on Ebay (mostly Ebay UK), usually between 20 to 30 british pounds - and 2 are needed. The slide viewers can be offered to the prop-community to build the detention block cameras, or you can ask if someone who builds the camera is so nice to sell you the inner lenses.

I have 6 - and 2 i need myself for my planned Treadwell, 2 i want to keep - if you are in no hurry i can send you the other 2 (if you want to build also a Treadwell)?

Edit: But if you don´t need them and only want the dims, off course i can make you more pics with measurements.  Tongue Wink
(05-28-2016, 12:39 PM)Lichtbringer Wrote: So, back at home.  Smile

Finding them was pure luck. I bought parts for this prop, the Detention block cameras Han and Chewie blasted away when freeing Leia from the Deathstar:

[Image: normal_left-view_zpsewkxn1v5.jpg]

The mainparts of it are six vintage slide viewer, manufacturer is Paterson, the type is "Trident" (i don´t know if the parts are also in other close looking types as the "Viscount", i only can say it´s for sure in the Trident).

[Image: normal_20160405_181950_zpsstipnkgz.jpg]

This are inner lenses that i supose were use for magnifing, as they can be distance adjusted between lamp and outer lens.

The parts are old and the plastic is brittle, so i took everything out to make the hulls lighter. Less weight makes the screwed backs less prone to cracking. I put everything in a box and forgot it. Today i had some time and was just again looking for the Treadwell refence material , when i clicked on the pic above and was hit by a "Damn, i know that part, what is it?" followed by searching a lot of boxes.  Smile

The slide viewers can still be found on Ebay (mostly Ebay UK), usually between 20 to 30 british pounds - and 2 are needed. The slide viewers can be offered to the prop-community to build the detention block cameras, or you can ask if someone who builds the camera is so nice to sell you the inner lenses.

I have 6 - and 2 i need myself for my planned Treadwell, 2 i want to keep - if you are in no hurry i can send you the other 2 (if you want to build also a Treadwell)?

Edit: But if you don´t need them and only want the dims, off course i can make you more pics with measurements.  Tongue Wink

that's a great story!

I'm looking forward to seeing the sensor array completed. I love that sort of stuff.

I would LOVE a pair, if you're willing to part with them, and am more than willing to pay for them.  I'm definitely building a treadwell.  I'll also reverse engineer them and give the information and files to the group so folks can make replicas should they want them. (No, I'm not in a hurry)

At the very least, some more photos would be greatly appreciated, so I can improve my model.
Shoot me the adress you want to have the 2 shipped to.  Big Grin

Edit: Will take more pics and measurements tomorrow.
I sent you a PM Big Grin

First test print of the replica eye frame:

[Image: normal_treadwell_printedEye_01.jpg]

Man, I love technology Big Grin

I know there are some things that I don't have right, though. I figure mine is too thin and there's also gotta be some way to mount the lens in there
But a good start. Smile

The next batch of pics will help (i hope).
That's really cool.  Having printed ones is cool too, how do you think you could replicate the lens for a printed one?

Hmm - also that'd give someone that cared a way to double-check the plan's dimensions.
(05-28-2016, 12:39 PM)Lichtbringer Wrote: So, back at home.  Smile

So if you're rebuilding the cell block camera prop are you going to go all pyro and blow up your replica? ;-)