Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A forum for the "other" droids
This is a forum for the droids of the Star Wars Universe . . . except astromechs. Astromechs are R2-D2 and his brothers, sisters and cousins, those little barrel shaped guys with three legs that make the beeping and whistling sounds. Why not this sort of droid? Let me explain.

I started out this whole mess, this glorious descent into madness, with the intent to build an R2 unit. Like everyone does in this day and age of technological wonder, I logged on to the internet and did a google search. My quest revealed many treasures, but the most valuable of all was an organization called the R2-D2 Builders Club. It was a dream come true. Names were unveiled for each astromech variation, plans could be had, defining each and every part of each of them, and there was a huge community of generous, helpful people right there waiting to encourage me, rectify my bouts of confusion, recommend materials and techniques and provide reference, insight and humor along the way. They are my friends and mentors and they are very good at what they do, building astromechs.

Eventually, there came a time when I developed the urge to take all the things I had learned from my time building astromechs and other non Star Wars robots and build C-3P0. Not a costume, I have never been slender and graceful enough to impersonate the golden protocol droid, but a real robot. I set out to do so much the same way I had started with my R2 and started a search. This time, like the one before it, I did find groups of people making 3P0's, but I just could not find a community to equal that which I had found for people building astromechs.

Which brings us here. I created this community in an attempt to bring the same level of quality and resource to the building of other Star Wars droids as the R2-D2 Builders Club does to building astromechs. I included all of the droids of the Star Wars Universe (not just C3P0) because there are fewer of us building some of the less seen droids and I thought we should all stick together. I hope this community can help you with what you're looking for, and if you can it would be great for you to contribute to making this community a better resource for those who come later.

However, when it comes to building astromechs, the standard has already been set. If you want to build an R2 unit, please click the image below and tell them savagecreature sent you. Say hello for me. They're a great bunch of people.

[Image: r2ani.gif]