Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A savage H015
Seeing Markus' post got me sorta thinking. Also, I had corresponded with Oliver a while back and he had said some things . . . .  anyway, to shorten the story, I started tinkering again, this time with the HO15.

Not a lot to show, yet, but I figured I'd share the process with all of you as it develops instead of waiting for the end and trying to remember what I had done.

Step A was to establish scale. I went with the concept art image as I didn't feel any of the screen sightings gave us anything more accurate.

[Image: normal_H015Scale.jpg]
I assumed a six foot tall figure because that's usually what you assume when you use a person as an indication of scale. The math when comparing to a six foot person is much more straight forward than someone who's, say, 5' 11".   Just under two feet for the droid seemed good, so I'm going to just go with that until someone provides more information.

Once scale is established, the second step is proportion. I set about doing the math based on measurements of edges in the photos we had of the droid and after a short time thought, 'heck with this.  I'll just match move it"

I put the image in a 3D environment and matched a cube to it. Once the cube was established I was able to approximate the focal length of the lens the image was shot with, then I was able to place the remaining large body masses and establish a reasonable match. 

Looking through the camera with the image superimposed looked like this:

[Image: normal_H015Match.jpg]

Now I have the base structure from which I can measure and modify to create a more comprehensive model and from there a set of plans.

[Image: normal_H015Block.JPG]

That was all the time I had to play with it today, but I think it's a good start. Smile
Cool, looks like a good start!

I was wondering if sheet styrene would be easy enough or if it would be worth doing vacuum formed molds?
(05-21-2016, 12:07 PM)kresty Wrote: Cool, looks like a good start!

I was wondering if sheet styrene would be easy enough or if it would be worth doing vacuum formed molds?

Funny that you should ask that . . .  as much as I should be doing something else, I just couldn't stop quite yet and I had designed the pieces to be vacuformed. The shapes really lend themselves to it and it would be stronger, faster and better looking. (once the chucks for the vacuforming are made, that is)  Now that I had dimensions worked out I moved over to Solidworks to build and design in an easily updatable and out-putable format.

[Image: normal_headTop.JPG]

[Image: normal_headbottom.JPG]

[Image: normal_body.JPG]

And, just for fun, I threw the piece together in a render environment so we could see how they were shaping up.

[Image: normal_H015_render_01b.jpg]
I swear, last post today. Got the skirt figured out and on there, too:

[Image: normal_H015_compare.jpg]
Wow, looking amazing. I might wanna go for a real one...
well, if the base square of the skirt is indeed 700mm, then the droid is 23.9 inches tall. Still just a bit under 2 ft, and only a half inch taller than my original estimation. I'll go ahead and scale mine up since it's easier to do at this stage than it will be later.
Like I said before, whatever is done it'll be close enough nobody'll notice Smile
Well, I have received a bunch more information about this droid since Celebration (during Celebration, actually. It was a constant stream of awesomeness) and I discovered that aside from the basic shape, most of what I had was at least partially wrong. ('cept for the drive system, which I got entirely right!) So I've been frantically re-working it all. 

I should have full flat pack plans for the shell posted this week. Here's a quick preview:

[Image: normal_H015_render_05.JPG]
Sweeeeeet. Smile
Looking good!