Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hovering droids like...
Lightbulb 
CameraDroid Something like that one.  

I watched A New Hope again last weekend, and something clicked with these little guys.  What about using a remote controlled drone as the base for the little hovering camera droids?  Like the one following the sandtroopers in the "this door is locked, move on to the next one" scene.  (They also show up in Episode I, floating around Jabba and the race announcers during the podrace.)  
Thoughts?
"Schubert Droid Works" on FB, @SchubertDroids on Twitter
(02-08-2016, 10:47 AM)schubertrr Wrote: CameraDroid Something like that one.  

I watched A New Hope again last weekend, and something clicked with these little guys.  What about using a remote controlled drone as the base for the little hovering camera droids?  Like the one following the sandtroopers in the "this door is locked, move on to the next one" scene.  (They also show up in Episode I, floating around Jabba and the race announcers during the podrace.)  
Thoughts?

Finally found the "call letters" for the thing:

[Image: 207654.jpg]

Looks a little bulky, but I'm sure someone with some skill could mold a body out of thin polystyrene and maybe mount a fan in the bottom. The fins could probably be used for steering, although I don't know the first thing about drones.
Hmm, interesting idea, though it the size/shape does seem a bit awkward.
(02-09-2016, 07:55 PM)deathproof Wrote:
(02-08-2016, 10:47 AM)schubertrr Wrote: CameraDroid Something like that one.  

Thoughts?

Finally found the "call letters" for the thing:

[Image: 207654.jpg]

Looks a little bulky, but I'm sure someone with some skill could mold a body out of thin polystyrene and maybe mount a fan in the bottom. The fins could probably be used for steering, although I don't know the first thing about drones.

Thanks for that info!  Thin styrene was what I was thinking, or maybe foam core.  Seen some 3d printed drones, too.  
(02-09-2016, 10:06 PM)kresty Wrote: Hmm, interesting idea, though it the size/shape does seem a bit awkward.

Yeah, I imagine the fins coming off the back would need to be balanced with something in the front.  Maybe by shifting the central fan a little to the back in the body, instead of dead center.  

Anyone played with those drone Falcons that came out last fall?  There were 2 versions, one with a large central fan, then a bigger drone with 4 little fans in the core.  I wonder if Toys R Us has them on clearance...hehee.  
I haven't played with them, but there are so many drone kits and components and software bits out there for the drone fanatic community, that this seems like a solvable problem. Maybe one way out on the tail?
I see a trip to the local hobby shop in my future...