Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KPR Security Droid
As if I didn't have enough stuff to work on, I started taking some measurements and collecting photos of the green-headed KPR security droid.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/KPR_servant_droid

http://jedibusiness.com/figureDetails.aspx?id=353

If I actually try to tackle this it will be quite the undertaking, as I have plans to work off for my other droid and Ghostbusters projects. This one I would attempt to build from scratch using only photos from the movie and the action figure. (unless I can find someone who actually has diagrams of the droid - no luck so far)

So much to do... so little time.
100% death proof

[Image: qBQpDd.jpg]
Images of this guy are difficult to find.  I did a small amount of poking around and got a few:

On the Sandcrawler.

[Image: normal_KPR_04.jpg]

And then out in front during the droid sale.

[Image: normal_KPR_02.jpg]
[Image: normal_KPR_01.jpg]
Thanks - I got these as well, with a few more. The action figure will help a lot. I'd love to know how the artist made the figure - I suppose Lucasfilm supplied him with photos and measurements. Love to get my hands on those materials.
100% death proof

though I haven't made many toys throughout my career, I can tell you that very often, especially with things that were made this long ago, they don't give the toy sculptor any more information or reference than we're digging up. I can pretty much guarantee no measurements were provided. Toy sculptors and other professionals that make these sorts of things after the fact are forced to guess or make a lot of it up in a lot of circumstances. But that's all right, 'cause if the people who made it don't even remember what it looked like, no one will know if you get it wrong! Smile
(10-18-2015, 08:46 AM)savagecreature Wrote: though I haven't made many toys throughout my career, I can tell you that very often, especially with things that were made this long ago, they don't give the toy sculptor any more information or reference than we're digging up.  I can pretty much guarantee no measurements were provided. Toy sculptors and other professionals that make these sorts of things after the fact are forced to guess or make a lot of it up in a lot of circumstances.  But that's all right, 'cause if the people who made it don't even remember what it looked like, no one will know if you get it wrong! Smile

That does make me feel oddly better.

I used Uncle Owen (the actor stands a little over 6 feet tall) as a basis of measurement and based on that, this is what I'd come up with so far:

[Image: bkur6K.jpg]

A couple years ago when I was thinking about doing a Mysterio costume for Halloween (until realizing my sizeable girth wouldn't exactly look flattering in green spandex) I had found this site that has plastic globes and hemispheres. By my measurements, the KPR's dome is about 15" in diameter, which they do make:

http://www.complexplastics.com/BALLS/HEMISPHERES.htm

A standard R2 droid head is about 18" in diameter.  Even if my measurement estimations were a little off, it still looks like the KPR has a smaller head than an R2 unit does.

Since this project is some time aways in getting started I haven't bothered getting a price on the dome, but it's a good thing I saved the site.

How would you do that "textured" part of its body if you were building it? You can see it pretty clearly in the first photo - the black part.

Having been out of maintenance/building for twenty years I'm not as familiar with materials and such that I used to be.
100% death proof

(10-18-2015, 12:57 PM)deathproof Wrote: How would you do that "textured" part of its body if you were building it? You can see it pretty clearly in the first photo - the black part.

Looks like some sort of rubber molding/gasket to me.  Maybe some sort of flooring, like the runners you can get at Lowes?
I really don't know. It's difficult to see what it looks like. I guess I would probably custom fabricate it somehow. Cast it? Is it flexible?