Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ghostbusters costume
[Image: rcbqjD.jpg]

Very happy with the way this turned out. Did a couple of layers of black primer and 2 or 3 coats of flat black.

I was debating whether or not to go with a satin black or a flat. In retrospect I think the satin might make it look more like metal, but I'm not going to sweat it. Just need to add a couple more components, a quick coat of paint on them, then add decals and wiring/tubes.

I'm going to try to redo WED-17's other eye tonight so I can bring them in tomorrow and redo the blue paint.

Probably work on the base some more tomorrow night.
Lost a little time as I realized I screwed up on the proton pack. The large piece in the top center should have actually been mounted a bit to the left. So I had to tear a couple of pieces off, remove dried glue, and put them back on. Added a couple more components. Pretty much done, so I'll take this to work on Monday and touch up the paint, then add the wires, tubes and decals.

[Image: FuMyDQ.jpg]

I'll try to manufacture the positron glider on Monday. Shouldn't be too hard... basically a box with a couple of pieces of PVC attached. I'm not adding light effects so it should be pretty quick. Then just add velcro to the pack and the positron glider to hold it on, and finally add the shoulder straps.
The big day rapidly approaches! I, too, am trying to get things completed ASAP this week. Good luck to both of us! (though it appears you're doing better than I Smile)
You're running out of time!
Proton pack is done except tubes and wires. I'm probably going to skimp on some of those as this is only meant to survive one Halloween party and I really want to continue my WED-17 build. I'll get some tubing and maybe a little wiring tomorrow and will try to have the Positron Glider built tonight. That's basically just a box with a couple of pieces of PVC coming out of it.

[Image: dECBhN.jpg]
Great job! looks good. amazing what a little paint can do
Finished!

Probably could have had it done a couple of nights ago but I was a little weary and took some time off.

The positron glider is just cardboard from a Diet Coke 12-pack with pieces of plastic covering it and a couple of lengths of PVC. The colored "wires" are just painted aquarium tubing. Interesting, the black plastic conduit sleeving that connects the glider to the pack is pretty much exactly the way the original packs were built, including strips of electrical tape every few inches along. That was just by accident but I noticed that's how the props were built when I was studying a closeup of the movie version.

Positron glider unpainted:

[Image: e8WHQt.jpg]

Painted with accessories:

[Image: nXIrsH.jpg]

Backpack with tubing added:

[Image: 6zwHRw.jpg]

I did actually get a piece of thicker tubing like the movie version has but decided against using it.

Backside of the pack, showing the bolts and strips of plastic used to hold the backpack straps on:

[Image: ZQOOii.jpg]

The final step was to paint the bolts and plastic black, which I just did.

Other side showing straps:

[Image: GVUNJg.jpg]

Final product:

[Image: KoMmtl.jpg]

I used velcro to hold the positron glider onto the side of the proton pack which is how I'll leave it most of the time except for posing for photos. If I do take it off I'll need to be a little careful not to peal off the velcro or damage either piece.

I'm going to wear the whole thing to work tomorrow and then go to the Halloween party afterwards. If I can get some decent photos of the whole costume I'll post them.
way cool. Looking forward to hearing about how the party went Big Grin
Cool, cutting it a little close?
(10-30-2015, 08:26 PM)savagecreature Wrote: way cool. Looking forward to hearing about how the party went Big Grin

Shitty.

Was supposed to be 5 - 9 for the "family friendly" version and the adult party was from 9 - 1 or whenever.

I don't drink so I figure I'd go to the family friendly portion, grab some eats, hang out a couple hours and head home to relax.

I should preface this by saying I'm not one those OCD types who has to show up the minute a party is supposed to start. If I go to my relatives homes for something I usually show up 1/2 - 1 hour after the start time. I gave myself a little extra time since I'd never been to this place before.

I got there at 5:15 - no one's home. It's definitely the right address. Call my friend - he's working on something at his house and won't even be there till 8. Apparently his friend whose house they were using for the party had taken the kids out for trick or treating and would be back in around a half hour. Well, okay... but the Facebook invite said 5pm. I'm there after 5pm. It wasn't like I showed up early.

So I guess I'm an asshole for expecting someone to be home when they say their party is supposed to start. If you're going out trick or treating and want people to show up later, SET THE TIME TO 6PM OR SOMETHING. Am I crazy?

Shit, I could have napped for an extra hour. I wasn't in a rush to be there or anything.

Plus I figured - I usually don't know hardly anyone at this guy's parties. Maybe there;ll be another couple of people we went to high school with and that's it. So I said fuck it... there's a diner in my town where "everybody knows your name" and I knew they'd be doing costumes and such, so I went there for dinner. Got some compliments on my costume, hung out with people I know and like, had a nice dinner, listened to some good music. Went home and chilled out.

Aren't you glad you asked?