Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edges of foamcore
Here's a question: if you're using foamcore to build a droid, what can you use to cover the edges?

Like such:

[Image: Foam_board.jpg]

Is there something that can be used to fill in or cover the edges?
100% death proof

[Image: qBQpDd.jpg]
I have no specific knowledge, but it makes me wonder if model putty would work? Or even a thin glue layer?
(09-30-2015, 09:08 PM)kresty Wrote: I have no specific knowledge, but it makes me wonder if model putty would work?  Or even a thin glue layer?

Not sure. I'll ask at the hobby store next time I stop in although I'm not sure if they'd know, either.

I did a little research and found this thread:

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=114100.0

"That's what I did--Two or three thin coats of white glue with my finger (it goes very quickly), then sanded lightly with a fine sandpaper. It worked great!!"

Also they mention using the thicker foam found at hardware stores and cutting it with a hot wire. My uncle made something like that when I was a kid. If I can find the styrofoam at a local hardware store I can find out how he built the hot wire cutter for it.

For now working with the foam core is simplest.
Cool, that's like what I was thinking with glue... I did that on the laser cut plywood on L3-G0, mostly because the edges were black from cutting and I didn't want to get the black all over the droid's white.

You can get hot wire cutters pretty cheap from crafts/hobby stores. (Unless you're savage, he'd have to build a 2D (or better 3D) automated bed for it!)
I tried the glue trick on a couple of pieces of my proton pack and it looks like it works! So simple... I smeared an even layer of elmer's along the edges of the foamcore and really did make a nice, smooth seal. Probably will do a second layer to smooth it out a little more, but yeah - great trick for foamcore edges.

I started on the body for my WED-15 as well. Unfortunately ran out of hot glue sticks, so I have to see if my hardware store has more tomorrow morning.

Since I'm using foamcore for most of WED's body, I discovered that the sheets I purchased weren't quite long enough so I have to do the sides and the base in two pieces. Not ideal, but I'm trying to keep this on the cheap. If I can get my hot glue sticks tomorrow I'm hoping to have the frame for the base assembled and then I can cut a couple of pieces of 1 x 4 wood to strengthen the interior, as well as give me something to attach the neck to later on.
When I started my Mouse Droid I was going to use the foam core but realized it wasn't strong enough. I still have the shell and keep playing with it to try ideas out, I've tried normal polyfiller like in the below Youtube mouse build and it does work but you do get a raised edge from the paper coating on the foam core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLVgWnnXKW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx3ZuGhBZ8c