Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Savage Lament
Gah. want to be building droids, but far too busy at work. I'm working evenings and here it is 7:00am on a sunday and what am I doin? working!

Thing'll ease up soon, though, and then I can post some plans or something. Smile  I just needed to complain, for the record.
Savage Lament - That sounds like a great name for a metal band, or a metal band's album.
"Schubert Droid Works" on FB, @SchubertDroids on Twitter
I've always thought that most sentences could be improved by the strategic insertion of the world 'savage' Smile
(09-22-2015, 06:29 AM)savagecreature Wrote: I've always thought that most sentences could be improved by the strategic insertion of the world 'savage' Smile
You may be savagely biased.
My problem is not time but resources. I can gradually scrape together money for materials but I live in an apartment so spray painting and using large power tools is pretty much out. At least I own my own business so I can bring stuff here to paint outside. And we have workbenches if I need to use heavy tools... but it's a pain in the ass to bring parts to and from.

And along a similar line, I have a lot of stuff I'd love to be able to do... I've been interested in refurbishing old vending machines but don't have the space for it. Same with cars - I love old muscle cars but rebuilding them is a VERY expensive hobby and obviously takes a lot of space.
(09-25-2015, 06:41 AM)deathproof Wrote:
(09-25-2015, 06:37 AM)deathproof Wrote: And along a similar line, I have a lot of stuff I'd love to be able to do... I've been interested in refurbishing old vending machines

I fixed up old pinballs and stuff, but vending machines?  That seems peculiar to me ;-)  Any special kind?
(09-25-2015, 06:41 AM)savagecreature Wrote:
(09-25-2015, 06:37 AM)deathproof Wrote: My problem is not time but resources. I can gradually scrape together money for materials but I live in an apartment so spray painting and using large power tools is pretty much out. At least I own my own business so I can bring stuff here to paint outside. And we have workbenches if I need to use heavy tools... but it's a pain in the ass to bring parts to and from.

And along a similar line, I have a lot of stuff I'd love to be able to do... I've been interested in refurbishing old vending machines but don't have the space for it. Same with cars - I love old muscle cars but rebuilding them is a VERY expensive hobby and obviously takes a lot of space.

Oh, yeah. Space is definitely always a problem. I'm fortunate in that our robotics team currently has a fairly nice work space that I can use when doing things outside on my patio isn't going to work. But before we got the lab it was always a real challenge, and even that I have to schedule because I don't have access all the time.

Cars are completely out of the question. No place to work on them, no place to park them.  
(09-25-2015, 08:46 AM)kresty Wrote:
(09-25-2015, 06:41 AM)deathproof Wrote:
(09-25-2015, 06:37 AM)deathproof Wrote: And along a similar line, I have a lot of stuff I'd love to be able to do... I've been interested in refurbishing old vending machines

I fixed up old pinballs and stuff, but vending machines?  That seems peculiar to me ;-)  Any special kind?

Well I got the idea from a couple of episodes of those junk finder and pawn shop shows... there's guys who buy vintage soda and similar type vending machines and fix them up like new. Fresh paint, repair the mechanics, etc.

There used to be an art gallery a few doors down from my shop and they were working on something similar. They had a BADASS vintage cigarette machine that needed repainting. I don't know if they ever got it done but I loved the look of the thing.

Not exactly the same, but sort of like this:

[Image: JEbq2k.jpg]

Of course, this one has a god-awful paint job and looks like it came from a men's room in a Chicago bus station. But you get the idea.

Rebuilding arcade games and pinball machines appeals to me, too. Again - can be an expensive hobby and I definitely don't have the workspace for it.
I remember those! You had to pull the nob with authority or else it would jam.
Ok, I'm having a hard time getting excited about that green beast. Of course if I had something to vend it might differ... OTOH I did have one of the rubber ball dispenser things with a rocking ladder/lift puzzle in the middle, so if you got it through the course you'd get an extra ball... That was when the kids were the right age.