Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Treadwell Build
(10-15-2015, 06:12 AM)savagecreature Wrote: Yep! Styrene's good stuff! Just be careful not to burn yourself when you're heat bending it. You can get really nasty burns from heat guns.

Thanks! Of course, I forgot to take the damn thing home last night. Curse my poor memory.

"I'll be careful!"
Well, things were proceeding reasonably well with WED-17 although I realized the eyes didn't have the rounded corners like the movie version did, so I said fuck it and removed the eye panels, carved them down, and took the time to paint the interiors black. I have to stop by my shop to paint my proton pack so I'll throw a little blue paint on them and hopefully they'll look better. I'd rather not redo the eyes completely - cutting the clear plastic was a bitch.

Anyway, started on the base. The problem is that I couldn't find foamcore larger than 30" so it has to be in two halves, along with the side pieces. Because of that, I decided to use a couple of strips of 1 x 2 wood to strengthen the base plus help keep the halves together.

My intention was to use bolts with wide washers on both sides (especially on the foamcore side, so it wouldnt dig into the material too much) - unfortunately I miscalculated the length of the bolts I needed by a half inch or so, so that pretty much ended the build for the night. But I got one side up and a strip of wood down to support it.

Since I have to hit the hardware store I'll probably pick up a couple of wooden dowels for the wheels because it'll be easier to drill and attach them at this stage rather than when the base is mostly done.

Ugh. I really don't want to redo the eye lenses although this polystyrene is quite easy to work with, so I might have to tear them apart and redo with with accurate cuts. Have to see how they turn out after painting tomorrow.

[Image: so4z4N.jpg]

[Image: OZuxrm.jpg]

[Image: IkpbiI.jpg]

[Image: Ygwnz9.jpg]
Wow! I don't think I've ever seen foam core that thick. Is that half inch? Does it take multiple passes with the utility knife to cut through it?
(10-19-2015, 05:48 AM)savagecreature Wrote: Wow! I don't think I've ever seen foam core that thick. Is that half inch? Does it take multiple passes with the utility knife to cut through it?

Yes it is. I got introduced to it when I was trying to build a scale Sandcrawler about 10 years ago. I actually had no idea that it came in thinner sheets until recently. I got mine from an art supply store. (Michael's)

I can usually get it cut with 2 passes. The one problem with it is cutting it straight. My aging hands aren't so good at that so I sometimes get angles, like such:

[Image: bgmLcn.jpg]

Instead of a straight cut like the top, I get it more like the bottom.
I finally couldn't take it and ripped one of the lenses off an eye. The only reason I hadn't replaced the whole thing was that I didn't feel like hunting down another piece of clear plastic. But as luck would have it, I had a package that a pencil set came in which was thin, clear plastic. Much easier to cut than whatever I used before.

I'm still not quite sure how to measure the rounded corners but the new eye came out way better than my butchered eye.

[Image: eDcmvq.jpg]

[Image: BlqANg.jpg]

Painted it black and glued it on. You can see the comparison of the new eye - cut from polystyrene and the thin plastic from the pencil box - compared to the old eye which I ripped off, poorly cut with a utility knife and glued back on.

Assuming the blue paint looks okay when it's applied this will be the final revision to the head.
I'm going to drive myself crazy if I keep obsessing on the head. Eyes are better than they were. I just really need to concentrate on getting the base done.

[Image: UfnQEH.jpg]

I picked up some dowels for the wheels. I figure it'll be easier to mount them before putting the cover on.
More work on the base. Got the sides on and the wood strips for stabilization. Put one end on.

Ugh... I hope this doesn't look totally butchered when done. Cutting the foamcore straight has not been easy but I don't have proper wood crafting tools to use plywood.

[Image: O3DSuO.jpg]

[Image: eB833t.jpg]

It's coming along. Try to get the holes drilled for the wheels and mount the dowels tomorrow, hopefully.
Getting there...
Here's a question: Bloody Plastic's Treadwell build used 3" PVC couplers as the wheels, filled with foam. Seems a logical way to do it quick, dirty and cheap so I will likely follow suit.

Question is: What to use for the treads? I can't afford those blower motor belts (around $125 each, IIRC) that they used for the actual droid in ANH. Bloody Plastic used some sort of rubber mat from Home Depot, cut to size and stapled together. That seems fine to me, but I have no idea what sort of mat he used.

Any suggestions? I need something that looks like black rubber treads but preferably on the cheap side.
Your droid is looking great so far. I haven't been on Rebel Droids in quite some time and it is good to see there is another Treadwell builder out there. I look forward to seeing more of your progress.
Bot Builder
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@PaulsBots