Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different models of the Gonk Droid
I was poking through special features and deleted scenes looking for other things and ran across a deleted scene of a gonk hanging out with R2 and 3P0.  It was an interesting configuration so I did some screen grabs and added them to the ref gallery.

[Image: normal_GNK_tatooine_01.png]
Almost looks like R2's getting a recharge. Something looks funny to me about R2 as well, maybe just because his bottom's clipped out of the frame.
I was poking around the interwebs looking for more GNK reference and realizing just how much variability there is with these little buggers. They're like astromechs when it comes to model variation, only worse.

my favorite is still the original, from the Jawa sandcrawler, etc.

[Image: JawaGNK~0.jpg]

He's always in the dark or the distant background so it's difficult to see details.  The one in Rogue One and The Force Awakens (which we've discussed is probably the same droid) looks a great deal like this one, in general if not in detail.

But it seems if any of us intend to build one of these droids there's a great deal of freedom afforded us in our designs

[Image: normal_Gonk1.jpg]    [Image: normal_TFA_GNK.png]

I wish there were more behind the scenes images we could get so a 'standard' could be established for at least on model.  It seems that we even most often see GNKs from the same angle so we have to guess on what their right sides look like.

[Image: GNKWatoShp.jpg]

I guess when I start mine I'll just go from this image from the old edition of The Essential Guide to Droids and fill in the details as best I can.

[Image: normal_GnkScrtDroids.png]

All of the images required to present my random ramblings have been included in the GNK Power Droids reference album in the images area.

As I continue to contemplate just what, exactly, a gonk should look like I was thinking about Dice's Star Wars Battlefront.  There's a gameplay mode where gonks take a fairly significant role and I had read that Dice had kept all of their work as canon as possible.  I quote: "DICE adheres explicitly to the Lucasfilm Archives' original props and the aesthetic of the Original Trilogy."

That having been said, I guess we can use the gonks you see in the game as reference. (which is good, 'cause they're pretty cool lookin')  I have yet to be able to figure out how to get a screen shot from in game, however, which adds another layer of difficulty to the process.

Until such a time as I figure out the screen cap thing, I was able to find this one image.  Once again, it's from the side we always seem to see them from.  If you click on it you can get the super-sized version.

[Image: normal_battlefrontj.jpg]

Edit:  No sooner had I re-launched the game to see if I could figure out how to do screen captures from it than the load screen (which is randomly chosen) featured the very gonk I was looking for.  I was able to grab an image.

[Image: normal_battlefront_gnk_02.jpg]
If I had a house instead of an apartment I'd build a Gonk mailbox like this guy:

http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1123342
(06-12-2016, 07:38 PM)deathproof Wrote: If I had a house instead of an apartment I'd build a Gonk mailbox like this guy:

That would be fun.  Wonder what the neighbors would think?
(06-12-2016, 08:48 PM)kresty Wrote:
(06-12-2016, 07:38 PM)deathproof Wrote: If I had a house instead of an apartment I'd build a Gonk mailbox like this guy:

That would be fun.  Wonder what the neighbors would think?

It's not the droid they're looking for?
Sweet. Now I can add a camera and a light. Sweet. Not like mine was gonna be canon anyway but these are good ideas. And a big red emergency button. Adding that too.
What size storage bins should I use for a Gonk droid? I want to get it as close to the aize of the Sandcrawler gonk as I can. In fact, if someone can post a link to a listing on Loews or Home Depot's sites to a specific bin that would be even better.

I may try to do my 2X7KPR in the meantime, as a friend of mine just got several sheets of plexiglass from work for me. I might just use a dolly from Home Depot (which may have even been what they used to build the original) and then use the plexiglass to build the base. The hardest part would be finding the R2 dome.

[Image: mgf9pB.jpg]
I don't have much info myself, but I browsed around and "Trooper TK409" posted an old thread on the rpf, wherein Gonk size was estimated as 57" tall, 29" deep, and 18" wide.  They said correctly sized bins were hard to find, and used 18 gallon bins (for a costume for a 7 year old, mind you).

Edit: Didn't you build one already?  Or does therpf have their own completely different DeathProof that was doing a Gonk this year?

Addendum: There is a brief glimpse of the Gonk costume that I saw at Dragoncon @ 1:37 in this video.  No idea who it belongs to.  
It's also seen @ 2:32 with (if I'm not mistaken) shmorgan's R2.