Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Question: 433Mhz type tx/rx?
Lots of the 12 button remotes basically use something like this:
http://www.banggood.com/ASK-315-433-MHZ-...76734.html 

What I'm wondering how to hook up the RX directly to an Arduino or something?  Seems like if you could pass data in and get data out, then that'd be way easier than doing the dozen relay type thing on the other end.  Of course maybe you'd have to figure out interference with other devices, etc.

So, is there a way to "easily" create a signal on the TX end and "see" that signal on the RX end?
WiFi Serial communications could be a solution for you with an Arduino if you are looking to do this with a MP3/WAV soundboard. It would also work if you were just looking for sensor data. If you are controlling other things, it may be a little more diffucult to work with depending on the channels needed. That is where something like the Marcduino, J.E.D.I., or other expansion systems come into play. What is your goal?
I forgot about this thread Smile Yea, I was looking at it for relaying to an Arduino, but since them I've learned a bit about XBee's. I'll probably end up doing a nunchuck-ish (3d Printed) XBee controller when I get around to it. Also played with getting PCB's made at OshPark, so I'll may get something kinda small.

Initially I was thinking that the 12 button controllers "everyone" uses for Artoo sounds are just weird because we end up sticking them to an MP3 Trigger, one relay to one trigger input. Worse, the relays are overkill, the trigger needs almost no power on those lines, so transistors would be fine. I actually found one that the RX had a bunch of small transistor outputs (it's in Lara's mouse) - way smaller.

But that had made me thing that the whole process is silly. Especially for my droids because I'm merely using the MP3 trigger to decode the inputs and tell the Arduino what was pressed serially, then the Arduino tells it back what to play (or can do other stuff).

So the path for the signals is crazy on the RX side. You get an input into the RX Relay board, which then has a decoder chip that tries to figure out what the signal meant and drive the appropriate lines, sometimes depending on the appropriate behavior (latching, etc). And then those drive relays. Which go to inputs on the MP3 trigger, which then turns them back into serial info for the Arduino.

When I posted this I was just thinking about 4 of those steps were stupendously redundant, so if I "knew" how it worked I could just attach to the original data signal and skip some steps....

... but as I said, now I'm looking more at XBee, and complete solutions for both motion and sound, not just the 12 button remote.
I did an "Instructable" on how to use the MP3 trigger with a Arduino and a WiFi module (that has the same pin outs as an XBEE). Maybe that will help with your setup as the XBEEs are just about the same, if not it may give you a place to start from.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Sparkfun...Made-Easy/
Cool, thanks Smile I'll take a look.

Frankly I'm more curious about the other side - trying to figure out if I can use the xbee's inputs well enough without requiring an Arduino in the controller. But now I know how to make a small board with an attiny so that may not be necessary.

I used Ed's controller as inspiration - but of course I don't seem to actually build anything just as it is, I always have to add a bit (Even the "do not touch" signs I had to tweak!)