Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shawn & Lara need a Toolbox... Droid?
Well, the tracks are going to need something flexible to connect them, so I'm playing with that.  I liked the Ninjaflex we used for the Make-a-Wish Mouse Droid wheels, but the bit left over from that isn't a good color for the Toolbox.  So I decided to take a chance on some TPU from ebay (trulyfoxsmart).

I'm pretty happy with how it's behaving.  We mainly got black, but thought the red might work for a few since the droid's so weathered.  (You won't be able to see most of this between the treads anyway)

[Image: normal_WP_20180329_19_54_23_Pro_LI.jpg]

[Image: normal_WP_20180329_19_54_05_Pro_LI.jpg]

[Image: normal_WP_20180329_19_53_54_Pro_LI.jpg]
Ties between treads of the Lego Toolbox Droid tracks

We're putting 2 of these between each pair of treads, 10 of those per side, so we need about 30 more of these! But this gives an idea of how it works.

I'm pretty happy with this stuff so far. It's not being as finicky as the Ninjaflex, though it feels a little different when printed. First attempt was a little too thick for the Lego to fit snugly, but the rest have been great so far.

Printing at 226 with 50 degree bed on clean glass (getting leveling right is a must). It needs to be slower at 1800mm/min (1/2 my normal speed). Interestingly the default settings 50% of that for the first layer proved too slow to be reliable. I bumped it up to 90% for the first layer and since then it's been printing cleanly on the Flashforge.

At Rizz's prompting, I tried it on the CR-10. I didn't do that earlier because flexible filaments and Bowden tubes aren't supposed to play well together. But I thought this filament might be stiff enough, so I gave it a go. Same speeds as the Flashforge and it's doing reasonably well. Maybe a little "muddier" (I don't think it can retract very well, 'cause it's jammed into the tube as far as it can go). But certainly feasible if you really need something and have a CR-10.

Messages In This Thread
Shawn & Lara need a Toolbox... Droid? - by kresty - 03-15-2018, 05:50 PM
RE: Shawn & Lara need a Toolbox... Droid? - by kresty - 03-29-2018, 08:17 PM
Shawn & Lara need a Toolbox... Droid? - by Dyne - 09-28-2019, 07:18 AM