Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mark VI Lightsaber Build Log (OT)
Most of this could be similar to the flashing lights and sounds of droid builds, which is why I wanted to share it.  We have a "maker garage" at work where people teach about new things, and I learned about making my own circuit boards!

To start I attacked the LED part, it's simpler than the brain and seemed like a decent proof-of-concept.  I'll do this backwards and show you what we ended up with.  Tons of thanks to Hiroo Umeno for designing the actual PCB (I meant to help, but he was done before I finished describing it!)

This is a custom PCB from OshPark after I populated it with the components.

[Image: normal_Lightsaber_Cane_Mk_VI_PCB_283429.jpg]
Mk VI Lightsaber Cane PCB
LED board for Lara's sixth lightsaber cane (LED side)

[Image: normal_Lightsaber_Cane_Mk_VI_PCB_283529.jpg]
(plug side)

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten the soldering right, apparently I fried several of the LEDs in the oven Sad  But the board's good!

Hiroo designed it with an output plug so I could daisy chain them for other projects, but for now I don't need that, so that isn't placed.  I also skipped C5 because the plug is a 90 degree plug, but I'd thought it'd be vertical Smile

Compare that to the old board.  7/4 of the LEDs (eg: power) in the same space, much more neatly and probably about the same assembly time (well, once I figure out how to not fry the LEDs!)

Next time I'll chat about building them. Oh, and did I mention what a big help Hiroo was!

Messages In This Thread
Mark VI Lightsaber Build Log (OT) - by kresty - 02-14-2017, 12:39 AM
RE: Mark VI Lightsaber Build Log (OT) - by kresty - 02-16-2017, 12:00 AM