Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DRK-1 Probe Droid
Awesome work on the DRK-1 Savage, I can’t wait to get stuck into that Droid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I suppose I'll wait to let you give it some thickness Smile

(11-18-2017, 02:13 PM)savagecreature Wrote: I had promised myself that I wasn't going to post any images before the files were ready for release to prevent the inevitable impatience it engenders in the folks waiting for me to finish, but . . . . what the hell.

It's getting closer to complete.  This is last image kresty got:

[Image: normal_DRK_1_05.PNG]

And this is an approximation of how some of the parts go together. (assembly has yet to be finalized)

[Image: normal_DRK_1_06.PNG]

I promise, more updates very soon.
Incredible progress! Eager to see future updates.
[Image: Duct%20Position%20Measurements.png?dl=0]
(11-18-2017, 02:17 PM)savagecreature Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 02:09 PM)FoxFX Wrote: I’m not sure what to build now - LOL  I have pulled my 1:6 Imperial Probe Droid apart ready to be scanned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The probe droid has been on my list for a long time. I've got a few pieces here and there that I've started and I've collected all the reference I could find. Any images of scans that you're willing to share I'd be grateful Big Grin

Great job on the model!  I'm trying to build a flyable version with a quadcopter inside (see the old thread I've highjacked on RPF for details).  Your nice, clean front projection image is giving me a bit more confidence with the measurements I've decided on relative to the official .3m (11.8") diameter of the outer shell (measured diagonally from one of the bottom plates through to the opposite portion of the 'cap').

I don't suppose I could impose upon you to double-check whether my planned duct locations are clear of the bottom plates?
I'm planning 1.75" diameter ducts, on a 5" X-frame, putting the center of the ducts 2.5" from center such that the front & back ducts on each side line up.

Edit:
Crap.  I just redid the math, and realized that I had initially screwed up by taking 1:1 measurements from a 1/2 scale drawing.
I'm going to need an 220mm X-frame, but a 50-54mm duct should fit between the lower plates, and be all but completely hidden from the sides.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/148ve68d9deol9...s.png?dl=0

Now I'm hoping even more for independent confirmation of my math & measurements.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what the image you've given me is showing. Could you elaborate more?
(01-22-2018, 07:21 PM)savagecreature Wrote: I'm sorry, I don't understand what the image you've given me is showing.  Could you elaborate more?

Sorry, I was posting kind of train of thought, and should have gone back and edited.

I'm in the process of planning and prototyping a DRK-1 with a built-in quad-copter, so that it can actually be flown.
Based on the 0.3m (11.8") official size measurement, and both the low-rez model, and the front-image of the model you're working on, I think I've sized out what can fit inside, and how big the ducts (to allow airflow from the props) can be, and still remain more or less hidden.

The boxes in the image are a quick 1" grid that I added to a flat projection view in SketchUp.  (That's about the limit of my modeling capabilities.)

If my math is right, the ducts can be up to 50mm (2") and fit between the bottom plate, and the outer edge of the side plates.  The center of that column, where the motor shafts would be, is just about exactly 3" left or right of center, and about 3" forward or backward of center.  (That amounts to just about exactly 215mm from front-left to rear-right.)

Picture dropping something like this into the middle of the droid's shell, with air shafts through the bottom of the droid, so that it can hover around by remote control.

I was hoping that you could verify that I got the math/measurements correct.

Hopefully this was clearer?
I think I see what you're asking. Maybe you could shade or circle the part of the photo where you'd want the column of air to go?
(01-22-2018, 11:34 PM)kresty Wrote: I think I see what you're asking.  Maybe you could shade or circle the part of the photo where you'd want the column of air to go?

How about a top view and front view, with a simple circle standing in for the exterior silhouette of the DRK-1?

Top View

Front View

So you're hoping those vertical columns would fit between the "fingers" on the bottom? (I'm not sure it matters much, if there was a notch out of the edges of them inside a little nobody'd notice much.) It looks like it's probably be close enough to work to my eyeball.

I'm not sure, but I think you'll also need something of an intake on the top, the air being blown out has to come in somewhere. You wouldn't want it to "suck" in from the bottom sides because that'd make it try to pull itself down a little and hurt your power.

The top hood has a "grill" between the two halves, not sure what's needed to get enough air into the rotors, but maybe that'd work.
(01-23-2018, 04:24 PM)kresty Wrote: So you're hoping those vertical columns would fit between the "fingers" on the bottom?  (I'm not sure it matters much, if there was a notch out of the edges of them inside a little nobody'd notice much.)  It looks like it's probably be close enough to work to my eyeball.

I'm not sure, but I think you'll also need something of an intake on the top, the air being blown out has to come in somewhere.  You wouldn't want it to "suck" in from the bottom sides because that'd make it try to pull itself down a little and hurt your power.  

The top hood has a "grill" between the two halves, not sure what's needed to get enough air into the rotors, but maybe that'd work.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I want the props to completely contained inside the shell (to make it flyable at conventions). If necessary, I'll be willing to up the prop size a bit, and have some visible 'cuts' into that bit of the shell, but I want to avoid it if possible. (A 2.5" prop would probably work without too much disruption to the exterior, but going up to even a 3" prop would end up with some sizable cutouts, so I don't want to go that far unless it's impossible otherwise.)

As for air intake, the little vents aren't enough on their own, but the plan is to take advantage of the fact that the 'hat' (the upper part that also overhangs the central eye) kind of 'floats' over the core (the inner ball), by chopping that ball off a bit above the overhang, and just allowing air to flow in around the edges, and into the innards where the drone 'lives'.