Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Party Gonk
I had a pair of brand new 22Ah SLA batteries that I planned on using in an astromech but wound up going a different direction. The obvious answer to this problem is to build another droid. Having been to a few conventions before, I know how draining they are on phone batteries. For this, the GNK power droid would be perfect. The batteries would be used to charge my phone while standing there looking like a GNK. Doesn't seem like much of a challenge, though, does it? Yeah, not really. You know what would be really cool though? Make it a recharging PARTY GNK!! Awww yeah. So I found a Bluetooth 400W amp, some 6x9 4 way 400W speakers and went on my way to get it rocking on like the breaky breaky dawn.
[Image: gonk37.JPG]
That blue thing on top is indeed one of those aluminum pan things you get at the store. It said Non-Stick on the wrapper so I grabbed it and said "Oh we will see about that!"
[Image: gonk38.JPG]
[Image: gonk35.JPG]
[Image: gonk39.JPG]
This was the GNK as stage scenery during Warwick's panel on droids.
[Image: gonk40.JPG]
Cool, a power droid that's doing it's job!
awesome!
I spy an R5-D4 frozen in Carbonite. Amazing.
(05-26-2017, 07:11 PM)deathproof Wrote: I spy an R5-D4 frozen in Carbonite. Amazing.

That's Greedo's (thread on Astromech.net) who is local to me.  He had fun with that.
Nice build
I decided to add some more blinkies to the party gonk. Got some of those 12v lighted switches. I had one left over port on the powerpole distribution block so wired them up and giddyup.
[Image: gnk1.JPG]
[Image: gnk2.JPG]
Party droids should always have lots of blinkies!
Do they blink in time with the music?
Nope.

Here are a few more pics of the redoing of the party gonk so every time I move it the paint doesn't chip off. Tip for others, don't use clear plastic bins. Even after sanding paint doesn't stick!

[Image: gnk9.jpg]
Some things to attach to it.
[Image: gnk4.jpg]
[Image: gnk7.jpg]
[Image: gnk8.jpg]
[Image: gnk6.jpg]
[Image: gnk5.jpg]
Painted the buttons a hammered metal.
[Image: gnk3.jpg]