Rebel Droids.net
Pit Droid Tinkerings - Printable Version

+- Rebel Droids.net (http://www.rebeldroids.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Droid Discussions (http://www.rebeldroids.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Build logs (http://www.rebeldroids.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Pit Droid Tinkerings (/showthread.php?tid=51)

Pages: 1 2 3

Pit Droid Tinkerings - savagecreature - 11-27-2014

Any of you who have watched any of my other builds might have noticed a pattern in my methods. I almost always build a computer model first to work out the details before I start building for real.

Hence . . . . it begins:

[Image: normal_pit_droid_model_01.jpg]

If anyone sees any inaccuracies, that I'm missing some detail, whatever, please feel free to chime in and help me make it better.

RE: Pit Droid Tinkerings - kresty - 11-28-2014

Yea, I noticed a small detail, the bottom's missing Wink

RE: Pit Droid Tinkerings - savagecreature - 08-15-2015

As you may or may not have seen (things have been mighty quiet lately) I've collected up more reference in the Ponderings thread. Thought I would share some of the fruits of those labors:

As kresty pointed out above, there were some parts missing below the dome so I thought it might be a good idea to add some of those. 

[Image: normal_pitdroid.JPG]

I started out fairly low resolution and then continued to refine the shape and contour, carefully checking against my reference to be sure I was getting it as accurate as possible.  I used every reference I could find. I looked at all the toys I could get my hands on, I carefully viewed The Phantom Menace a hundred times, including the special features, making screen captures of anything that looked helpful, I did extensive internet searches reading forums and blogs and book reviews to see if I could glean any clues or find the names of other sources that might help and when I found the titles of books that might be helpful, I went out and bought them. I even hunted down the few models of the Pit Droids that had been made for video games.

It was a slow process because at each step I would find a new resource that showed me I had done something a little bit off and I had to go back and correct it, but eventually it started to take shape.

[Image: normal_pitDroid_02.jpg]

As some of you may have read in the the parallel thread, Ponderings, I found that  Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels had the next best thing to orthographic renders of the pit droid in them.  I sent out some e-mails and a friend was able to send me back some images from the book.  These were incredibly helpful, enabling me to carefully check my proportions. I brought them into my 3D software so I could make direct comparisons.

[Image: normal_pitDroid_02b.jpg]       [Image: normal_pitDroid_02c.jpg]

As you can see in the above images, there were some inaccuracies here and there, but the droid was taking shape surprisingly well. I continue to adjust things as I went, and started to add new parts and details.

Legs came next. They look deceivingly simple but they have quite a bit of detail and a number of non-rectilinear shapes that make them more of a challenge than expected.  Next came the upper arms and I realized I had forgotten toes.

[Image: normal_pitDroid_04.jpg]   [Image: normal_pitDroid_06.jpg]

Then forearms and hands:

[Image: normal_pitDroid_07.jpg]

Looking fairly pit droidish if I do say so myself!  I still haven't been able to find good reference for the underside of the dome and all the detail that lives there, but I continue to hunt for it. I also need to add some sundry details; panel lines and rivets and such pretty much all over the droid.  But it's getting very close to complete.

Here's a view of my mesh projected on top of the ILM render for comparison.

[Image: normal_pitDroid_12.jpg]

Now you, my fellow droid builders, might be thinking to yourself, "this is all well and good, but why do I care about a CG version of this cute, little, utilitarian droid? What good does this do me?"  My answer; Plans, measurements proportions and even 3D prints can all be generated from a 3D model such as this.  The more droids we have accurate CG models of the more droids we can accurately and much more easily construct using any of a number of awesome methods. 

As a terribly incomplete example (but it's just an example, right?) I present exhibit A, what could easily be the start of a set of dimensioned elevations of our little friend, which was generated without much effort from this new CG model.

[Image: normal_pitDroid_13.jpg]

RE: Pit Droid Tinkerings - savagecreature - 08-16-2015

Kresty thought I should include this, and who am I to argue? Exploded view of the model, so you can see it's multiple party goodness

[Image: normal_pitDroid_15.jpg]

can you even tell what's what?

RE: Pit Droid Tinkerings - kresty - 08-16-2015

Cool! Now someone needs to print one!

RE: Pit Droid Tinkerings - kresty - 08-17-2015

It's cool!  Yea, it's a bit hard to see how all the bits end up in the full thing, but it's cool

(08-16-2015, 10:16 PM)savagecreature Wrote: Kresty thought I should include this, and who am I to argue? Exploded view of the model, so you can see it's multiple party goodness

[Image: normal_pitDroid_15.jpg]

can you even tell what's what?

RE: Pit Droid Tinkerings - kresty - 08-17-2015

Printed the head "quickly" at 25%, thanks Savage!

[Image: normal_Pit_Droid_Head_Take_1_28129_281280x72229.jpg]

[Image: normal_Pit_Droid_Head_Take_1_28229_281280x96029.jpg]

[Image: normal_Pit_Droid_Head_Take_1_28329_281280x96129.jpg]

[Image: normal_Pit_Droid_Head_Take_1_28629_281280x96229.jpg]

It's reasonably decent.  My printer has a hard time printing upside-down arcs, like the bottom of the eye, and the greebles make it need a lot of vertical supports, but it seemed to print pretty well.

I think I'd print the top bit as one thing, the eye as another (with lens up), and the greebles as a third.

Also, the eye seems to have a box inside it, so it printed mostly hollow instead of with supports.

RE: Pit Droid Tinkerings - schubertrr - 08-18-2015

That's some snazzy pit droid printing there!  I'm looking into printers, Kresty, mind sharing a bit about your set up?
Thanks!

RE: Pit Droid Tinkerings - kresty - 08-18-2015

So-as to not randomize Savage's thread, I posted about the printer here: http://www.rebeldroids.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=124

RE: Pit Droid Tinkerings - schubertrr - 08-19-2015

Good idea. I'll swing over there... CameraDroid