Rebel Droids.net
Greetings from France - Printable Version

+- Rebel Droids.net (http://www.rebeldroids.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Welcome to rebel droids! (http://www.rebeldroids.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Introductions (http://www.rebeldroids.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Greetings from France (/showthread.php?tid=417)

Pages: 1 2

Greetings from France - SuTaiBot - 11-27-2017

Hi all,

I am Jean Michel, R2 builder, 49 y. old, living near Paris.

I do not have plenty of time at the moment for building... but I do have more than enough for dreaming...
so here I am to find some inspiration for the next built(s) Smile

I started a mouse droid some time ago as a side project when building R2;
It is operational but I did not complete it yet (missing greeblies and painting) and not sure I will: main reason is my R2 ended up as a full aluminum built, keeping aluminum mostly unpainted;
so I am now thinking about a full aluminum MSE to match my R2 color scheme and could be an opportunity to keep practicing with aluminum welding.

Also, MSE is too much like a RC car, and I would like to experiment with autonomous mobility so TFA's sentry droid could finaly be an even better candidate...

Looking forward to sharing with you all !

RE: Greetings from France - kresty - 11-27-2017

Bonjour! (Ok, that used up most of my French). More Sentry Droids are always welcome!

RE: Greetings from France - savagecreature - 11-27-2017

greetings and welcome to the group!

RE: Greetings from France - SuTaiBot - 11-29-2017

Thank you for your welcome messages!

RE: Greetings from France - kresty - 11-29-2017

Note that Savage posted plans for the H015 Sentry Droid, and I created a model of the Lego greeblies on the bottom, but the two don't quite fit together. Hoping to have that reconciled soon-ish.

RE: Greetings from France - SuTaiBot - 11-29-2017

Thanks Kresty, good to know that they do not fit together.

I looked at the plans... looking great!
I will probably make a cardboard version first, just to see how my wife and kids react to this new droid Wink

An idea to improve the pdf templates: add two lines or a square for reference dimensions, e.g. 50 mm x 50 mm, would be very handy to check that the print is really 1:1 (I have had some bad experiences with printers or sometimes just because I messed up with the printer parameters...)

Would the plans be available in cad formats such as .dxf or .dwg?
(I would go for an aluminum built so cad formats would be required for laser cut.)

I have also been through the image reference section and some threads: I have learnt a great many things; thanks for all this!

RE: Greetings from France - kresty - 11-29-2017

Yea, we had problems with the original fusion generator plans due to scaling issues. The fusion generator's now have a scale marked on them! The Sentry droids do not as I think they didn't have that problem.

RE: Greetings from France - SuTaiBot - 02-17-2018

Have been busy with work lately, not much building but at least I printed the flat pack and made a first test with cardboard.

I am now decided to build this sentry droid: I like the shape, the holonomic drive and am now really decided to explore autonomous droid so H0-15 is the perfect choice.

I will get the skirt laser cut. I may weld the corners or make some 3D printed parts, not sure yet.
I am now testing a CR-10 S5 that I intend to use to 3D print HO-15 top 3 main elements, each in one-piece: body, lower head and upper head.

Before investing time into my own 3D design I was wandering if somebody had already released a 3D model based on SC's flatpack that could be used for 3Dprinting?

RE: Greetings from France - savagecreature - 02-17-2018

I'm not quite sure I understand which parts you want to 3D print, but if you let us know what you're looking for I'm sure between kresty and I we can come up with something to help out with the process

RE: Greetings from France - SuTaiBot - 02-17-2018

Hi Savage, many thanks for proposing some support with this idea!

Basically, I want to test printing the outer shells for the 3 main sections:
(The CR-10 S5 is large enough to print each of them as a one-piece print: 500 mm cubic).
1/ the upper half of head (meaning the top and all the side parts in the "head template sheet 01" file assembled together; I will design a specific bottom part later; but some tabs could be prepared on inner surfaces to attach a 3 mm thick bottom aluminum plate later).
2/ the lower half of head (meaning the bottom and all the side parts from the "head template sheet 02" file assembled together; I will design the internal parts and the "top plate" later)
3/ the body (meaning all parts from "body template sheet 01" file) maybe with some tabs to support the bottom plate that could be printed later in 3 mm thick
4/ actually, the neck could be printed as one-piece as well, then attached by screws to the body top.
Walls could all be 3 mm thick.

Hope you see what I mean... :-)

The skirt is far too large to be printed as one-piece and is too much exposed to potential damages, so I will use traditional flatpack techniques with aluminum for robustness.

I was designing with 123D Design but as it is not supported anymore I am switching to Fusion 360... but still learning/messing with it so far Undecided