Rebel Droids.net
Lego! - Printable Version

+- Rebel Droids.net (http://www.rebeldroids.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Droid Discussions (http://www.rebeldroids.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: H015 Sentry Droid (http://www.rebeldroids.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: Lego! (/showthread.php?tid=197)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Lego! - kresty - 07-15-2016

One of the sentry droids was here at celebration on stage. I have some pix I can post when I get them off the camera [CAMERA].

The bottom has incredibly detailed greebles. Blocky things I couldn't figure out how to do easily. Then I realized... They're Lego! Oliver used Lego on the bottom!

They were recast in lightweight resin, but cast from lego.

RE: Lego! - savagecreature - 07-15-2016

I want those photos!! How awesome you have them and thank you for being willing to share!

RE: Lego! - Lichtbringer - 07-16-2016

Don´t worry - when they show up .... we will be here.

RE: Lego! - kresty - 07-16-2016

Ok, one picture to tease, sorry 'net is being horrid. The Sentry (or new mouse as Oliver called it) was on the stage at the droids and creature shop talk yesterday, so I managed to get several photos.  Unfortunately the network's being abysmal, so it'll be a bit before I post more, but here's a shot of the underside as he was lifted off the stage.

As I mentioned yesterday, the underside greebles are Lego!  I gather they were molded and then cast from lightweight resin, but you can clearly see the studs and seams for the tiles.  I have other pictures, so this'll help for both scale and we can figure out the bottom I'm pretty sure. 

When I first saw them it was dark-ish and I thought "ugh, that's a lot of blocky detail", but even I didn't realize it was Lego until I saw the picture later.  I then got confirmation later.  I'm tickled Lego made it into a canon droid, and teased Oliver that LFL paid him to play with Lego Smile 

[Image: Star_Wars_Celebration_London_UK_Trip_201...128029.jpg]

RE: Lego! - kresty - 07-27-2016

I started playing with the Lego bottom greebles.  This is as far as I got on the plane flight back, it goes from about omniwheel to omniwheel (a bit further actually), but misses edges.

[Image: Bottom_Greebles_Start_Black.png]

Apparently all 4 sides are the same, which I confirmed, although the one at Celebration has damaged bits on the front and rear (and probably other places).

The bricks are cut for the Omniwheels.  I've decided to leave those as voids rather than have partial bricks.  I don't think the partical bits that are cut are that interesting, and it seems easier if it didn't have to be cut... We could make it so we had to cut them, but I don't know what the missing bits would look like if there weren't omniwheels (since they're missing).

As mentioned, it is 4 identical pieces.  It looks like they've been cut @ about 45 degrees on the corners, however they don't seem to line up completely.  Not sure if they had to be trimmed smaller or just wasn't important to get a "perfect" cut.

I also don't have a lot of detail around the corners.  If someone else has pix I'll take a look, however it gets pretty muddy anyway when the bricks run into the corner spheres/faux wheels.  Like stuff was cut & glued and puttied to fit.  Nobody can see that soe I'm not too worried about it.  Probably any mold should have a void for the faux wheels?

FWIW, my mockup attempts to keep the seams of the original bricks.  Right now it's rough and wouldn't fit together well.  It would be easier to build (& stronger in Lego) if some of those were oriented differently, but I assume folks would like to have the original marks/lines between the bricks, so that's what I'm going with for now - besides if it's cast and molded that's less interesting.

This is the same picture, however a few bricks are red where they are obscured in my reference photos.  Probably about 85% chance each of those is "correct", though there are alternatives that would fit the photo just as well.  Eg: a tile might continue behind a brick or it might stop and leave a bare stud, etc.  Nothing major, very minor details.  I might get closer when I check other pictures.

The blue bits are ones that might need removed for the omniwheel void, they are cut in the reference, but I thought they might be complete, but they may need cut.

The corners need work, though there isn't really that much missing.  This is ~450 bricks, but I didn't make the back wall the original has, and the original might be solid.  So we're looking at something like 2000 bricks+ for a brick-built complete build.  Lara will probably figure out how to lighten that some for her build.

[Image: Bottom_Greebles_Start.png]

RE: Lego! - savagecreature - 07-27-2016

Cool! I had started, too, but mine doesn't have the fancy star background, so yours is better.

RE: Lego! - kresty - 07-27-2016

Ah, well, if you're going to do it, then I can stop ;0)

Do you have something I should compare to?

RE: Lego! - kresty - 08-17-2016

Nikita (my daughter) just learned that Lego was used on a canon droid and LOL. Thanks Oliver, that was worth it Smile

RE: Lego! - kresty - 08-22-2016

I had hiccups in my progress this weekend. And I have a question/problem kind of related to the size discussion. I'll try to see if I can come up with something to explain where I'm at, maybe sharing will get me unstuck.

RE: Lego! - kresty - 08-22-2016

Ugh. Ok, I kinda think I found one section where I finally got the corner turned. I was trying to get references to explain myself and that led me to finding the matching patterns. It's also consistent with other places in the Lego structure.

That leads me to a preliminary width of 68 Lego Studs. Which isn't even close to sane. 68 studs is 544mm or almost 21 1/2" wide. Worse, there's a gap between the shell and the Lego on the bottom. Not sure how big the gap is, but maybe a stud worth. So that gets us up to about 22" at the "bottom" of the skirt (excluding the feet).